5 Key Features for Creating High Ranking Blog Posts
Reach more readers with your awesome content.
Creating an Awesome Blog Post to Get More Visitors to Your Website
Let’s face it, getting visitors to your blog can be tricky. The key, of course, is to create awesome content that your readers will enjoy, but there’s actually more to it than just the text.
Read on for a few quick tips that will make your blog be more searchable and stand out to your readers.
NEVER FORGET: Creating quality, engaging blog content is key! If your content is sub-par, none of the tips below will make a difference. Remember, quality over quantity.
Create a Catchy, RELEVANT Title for Your Blog Post
Enhance Your Blog with Great Imagery
Be sure you follow these basic rules:
- Use only media that you have the proper rights to
- Ensure your images are properly optimized for use online (not sure what that means? Check out this short article.)
- Use only images that are high quality – no blurry images!
- If possible, try to utilize images of your actual products/services/employees instead of stock photos
Format Your Blog to Make it Easy to Read
- Create properly formatted topic headings – use bold text, increased font sizes, or accent colors
- Separate different sections with spacing or different colored backgrounds
- Take advantage of text formatting tools like bolding, italics, bullets and block quotes
- Ensure paragraphs don’t get too long that they can’t easily be skimmed for content
- Incorporate relevant imagery to break up text
Make Your Post Search Engine Friendly with On-page SEO
Anatomy of a Google search result and image “alt” attribute setting in the WordPress media gallery.
- Make sure your blog meta title includes your key words or phrases – The meta title is the title of the page that shows up in search engines. Typically, “most” WordPress themes will automatically use your article title as your meta title, but many optimization plugins allow you to change it.
- Write an enticing meta description that includes key search terms your target audience might be searching for – The meta description is the short bit of text that sits below the search result.
- The link URL – be certain your main search words or phrase is included in your URL.
- Use your keywords and search terms naturally throughout the copy of your article. Be sure to avoid overusing popular terms. This is known as keyword stuffing and can actually hurt your rankings. Using your keywords and phrasing even just a few times will be sufficient for search engines to understand your content.
- Don’t forget to use the image “alt” attribute – although not seen by the majority of your visitors, the image “alt” text is read by search engines. This is a prime opportunity to not only describe your image, but incorporate keywords relevant to your article.
Always Have a Call to Action
Here are some call to action ideas:
- make a purchase
- schedule an appointment/consultation
- request a quotation
- leave a comment
- read additional information
A Few Last Minute Tips for Optimizing Your Blog to Get More Visitors
Content truly is king. Always be sure to create engaging, quality blog content that your target audience will enjoy. Be sure to write naturally and don’t overdo it by inserting keywords and phrases where they wouldn’t appear normally. You want your text to read well. If you are using headings (which you should be!), be sure to incorporate key search terms and use the various heading levels appropriately.
For more optimization tips check out our DIY SEO series.
GET IN TOUCH
Professional Website Design, Maintenance and Lead Nurturing to Grow Your Business
Creative Designs that Convert. Worry Free Maintenance. Marketing Automation.
Founder, Dohmain Designs
About the Author
Jessica is the Director of Digital Marketing and Owner of Dohmain Designs. She is a small business sales and marketing expert specializing in business growth through intelligent website design and sales & marketing automation.
Jessica is a Certified Infusionsoft Partner, marketing automation and CRM expert with 20 years of professional sales and marketing experience. In 2011, she combined that experience with innovative website design and created Dohmain Designs. She has worked with biotech giants, overseen the digital marketing for a popular Discovery Channel hit TV series, worked with internationally known influencers, and helped hundreds of clients grow their business. Prior to creating Dohmain Designs, Jessica worked in the fast-paced biotech sector focusing primarily on technical sales and marketing, as well as providing complicated sales-focused CRM training across various disciplines.
Jessica is a member of her local Rotary Club where she has previously served as the Membership and Public Relations chairs and currently serves as the 2020-2021 President-elect. Jessica truly believes in the "Service Above Self" Rotarian philosophy and strives to dedicate her time and talents to helping others, both in her personal and professional relationships.
She is located in the Minneapolis / St. Paul area and works with clients all across North America. If you'd like to get in touch with Jessica, simply complete the contact form below.